Sunday, May 10, 2009

Norfork Lake Fishing Report



HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL.


We have a lot of fishermen and women staying at our resort on Norfork Lake this week. They have all been catching plenty of fish and we have been told they are already planning their fall Norfork Lake fishing trip. I made an evening trip yesterday and did really well on largemouth bass. I thought I had a striper on the line with the fight a 3 1/2 pound fish gave me. I fished the Pigeon Creek area and was throwing a bone colored rogue up in the buck brush. A spotted bass (Kentucky) did me a favor. I casted over some buck brush and was snagged. While trying to twitch it out of the brush a 15 inch spotted bass attacked the lure and came out of the water with lure in mouth. I landed the fish and gave it its freedom for saving a trip into the bank. I actually give all my largemouth, spots and smallmouth their freedom. I moved to the Cranfield Island area after the sun set to see if I could find some walleye. No walleye but a 5 pound catfish attacked my rogue right next to the brush. It really gave a great fight. I think this was my first catfish on a rogue.

We had a father son team from St Louis go out with a guide striper fishing on Friday. The guide was using live shad and fished the dam area. They both caught their limits of striped bass. It was the first striper caught for both the son and his 81 year old father. They had a fantastic time and are planning their trip for next spring.


A couple from St. Louis (Collinsville area) have been fishing for several days. Last evening they got into a nice school of white bass in the Cranfield area. They were throwing a clear spook puppy and had a blast, a fish every cast. What more can you ask for. This morning they went out striper fishing on their own. They wanted to fish the dam area so I gave them a few good locations to check out. They ended up catching two 10 pound stripers on weighted white bass assassins. They also missed a few on clear spooks. The major problem was that the man caught the two fish so the wife was not happy, with it being mother's day and all. I told her next time is her turn.


We have others from St Louis and Chicago fishing for crappie and bluegill. The bluegill bite has been great and the size of these fish is amazing. The crappie bite is OK, but has slowed a bit. They are spawned out and have moved from the shore out to the tops of the brush piles. Once you find them you will get some very nice slabs. Nightcrawlers are working well for bluegill and twister tail jigs, tipped with a minnow or just a minnow is working for crappie. When you check-in ask for my brush pile locations. This will give you a great start to your fishing trip.


The Norfork Lake level is 558.27 and rising slowing (4 1/4 ft above normal). One generator is running. Last evening the lake temps where in the mid 60's for the main lake and slightly higher in Pigeon Creek. Water clarity is clear in the main lake and slightly stained back in the creeks due to the recent rains. They will be gin clear again before long.

The above photo shows a couple of our pontoons in the background.

Happy fishing and see you on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment