Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Norfork Lake Fishing Report

I want to wish all a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Hope your fishing trips are frequent and full of big fish.

Bass fishing has been great lately. Norfork Lake is becoming a premier bass lake. I think the last several years of high water during the spawn has improved the quality and quantity of fish in this lake. The bass are still in deep water, 35 - 45 feet, and close to brush piles. The photo is of my yesterday catch. I missed more bites than I caught. They are hitting real light. When you check in, ask where I have placed large cedar trees. I have been vertical jigging with a spoon and also using live shiners. One of my guests was using a Berkley Gulp minnow on a jig and caught several nice largemouth and Kentucky bass. He also hooked into a couple of nice catfish.

Winter striper fishing has been going good. A few of my guide friends have been limiting out with nice fish. They are currently located near the 62 bridge to the Bidwell area. This is winter so the fish are moving, but it does seem that they are staying on this end of the lake. Live shiners are working well and you can also catch them with spoons once you find the school.

Crappie are starting to bite. I have spooned up a few and a friend is using live minnows and starting to have luck catching crappie during various times of the day. The best bite seems to be close to dark. My favorite crappie bait, a 2 - 3 inch twister tail grub tipped with a live minnow should start working soon. Winter crappie fishing is really fun, but of course I try and wait until the afternoons are in the 40 degree range.

The Norfork Lake level is still falling and currently is at 558.38. The surface temperature water has risen slightly and is at 51.5 degrees. The main lake is clear and the creeks and coves are still stained.

Happy holiday to all and have a safe and Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment