Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A foggy morning fishing on Lake Norfork

I finally made it out onto NorforkLake fishing today. I wasn't able to make it to all the spots I hoped to because of the heavy fog. It was even difficult to see the front of my boat. Without a GPS it would have been impossible to find my way around. I've been out in the fog before (without a GPS) and ended up going in circles and having to just stop the boat and wait for the fog to lift. I made it to Cranfield Island and stopped on the land side point and started to throw a rogue with no success. I switched to a white and chartreuse Zara spook and the largemouth and spotted bass started hitting on the first cast. I just caught little ones on this point then moved over to the island. I probably caught 15 bass around the island with 3 being keeper size. I headed out in the fog again and made it across the lake from the island. I fished in a cove and caught two really nice keepers. I took pictures with our phone, but I guess I don't know what I'm doing since they are not there. The fog finally lifted so I headed home. If there was any striper top water action I couldn't see it for the fog. I plan on going out in the morning unless torrential rains keep me in. Hopefully the storm headed our way passes us before 5:30AM.

The lake temp has fallen and the water is on the rise. The temp is in the low 60's and the lake level is currently 556.22 (4 1/4 ft above normal) The forecast is starting to look a little better with our normal 20 - 30% chance of thunderstorms. The buck brush is fully in the water, so if this water level remains constant, it should be really good for the spawns and fishing. The major problem with the submerged brush is that you will loose more fish to the twigs. That's fishing!

Catfishing is starting to take off on limb lines and trot lines. I have seen several really nice channels and flatheads come into the dock. The crappie are over the brush piles in shallow water and are biting good. Small curly tail jigs and road runners (both tipped with minnows) are working really well. Bluegill are hitting well on crickets. My guide contacts are catching many stripers using live shad. The fish are on points all over the lake. The bite is starting to heat up. Hopefully I will be able to talk about stripers first hand tomorrow.

See you all on the lake and happy fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment