Monday, April 18, 2011

Norfork Lake Fishing Report



Striper fishing on Norfork Lake is going strong. I fish this AM with some success. I decided to check out several areas that I haven't fished in a while. I started in the Diamond Bay area. I arrived about 5:15 AM and set out two balloons and two free lines with live thread fin shad. It wasn't more than 15 minutes before both balloons started to ZINGGGG! I set the hooks on both fish, set one rod back into the rod holder and started to fight one of the fish. I had it almost in and saw it dart right into the other line. And then there was one. I landed this nice 10 pounder, but who knows what the other was. (must have been a 35 pounder!!) As soon as I reset the two balloons one of the free lines took off. I was heading into the wind at this time and I guess when I got off of the trolling motor it gave slack in the line and the fish escaped. I was fishing in 20 - 30 feet of water. Sunrise was starting and it was like someone turn off a switch and the fish stopped biting. I then headed to the dam area to see what was happening there. As chance would have it nothing was happening for me. I fished three different areas with no bites. Robert Lee of Lee's Lite Line has been fishing the dam area for the last week and has done quite well on hybrids and stripers, but I guess I didn't go to the right places. I then headed back to Fall Creek. No stripers, but plenty of bass. I landed 7 spotted and largemouth bass in about a 45 minute period. It was then time to head back to the resort and start cleaning the pool.

Jeff, one of our MO guests landed this nice 28 pound striped bass the other afternoon. He released the fish after the photo. He has caught many striped bass over the last several days all with gizzard shad. He has been fishing the Bennett's area and has had most of his success late in the afternoon. He has been pulling 4 - 6 planer boards trying to stay near the shoreline. His fish have been caught in 8 - 30 feet of water.

Bud Gauger of Howard Cove Striper Service took several of our guests out fishing yesterday. They had a successful trip, landing 6 striped bass and missed 3 others. The largest was 17 pounds. Essie caught the big fish of the day, and by the way she is 90 years young and going strong. She had a great time on her guided birthday trip and fishing off of our dock. Bud was fishing with gizzard shad back in the Bennett's area.

Norfork Lake level is on the rise and currently sits at 552.21. The surface water temperature has dropped to around 60 degrees north of the bridges and as low as 55 at the dam. A warm southerly wind is forecast for the next several days, this should help spur on the top water action. Coves and creeks are still stained and the main lake is clear.

Happy fishing and see you on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment