Sunday, May 29, 2011

Norfork Lake Fishing Report


I could not have ordered a better morning to fish Norfork Lake than this morning. The lake was calm, the air temperature was in the 70's and the sun was out. And the best of all, the fish were really biting well!!! I love being able to fish in shorts and a tee shirt! This was the first morning fishing trip I have been able to take since May 5th and what a homecoming it was. I ended up with my limit of striper and hybrid and actually caught 3 other hybrids that were released on site. I also caught smallmouth, largemouth and white bass. All fish were released except for the two stripers. Fish tonight!!

I headed out of my dock around 5:15 AM and fished Panther and Fall creeks. The shad were flipping all though the bushes and the fish were gorging themselves. I was using a fluke with a weighted hook. The fluke had a white body and chartreuse tail. Top water lures would have worked, but there was too many leaves and pine needles in the water to throw a top water bait. The fluke worked great, but the hook was a little big for the white bass, but I did manage to land 4 nice size whites. I was sitting in about 40 feet of water and casting to the shore. The hybrids were caught casting out to deep water when I noticed them coming up for shad.

I fished two different evenings earlier in the week and got into some nice top water action with white bass and hybrids. I was throwing a 3/4 ounce red and white Rooster Tail and the fish hammered the bait. I was fishing in the Cranfield area.

Catfishing is going strong on limb lines and trot lines. Live shiners have been the bait of choice.

Black bass are also hitting spinner baits and lipless crank baits. You need to cast into the bushes and hang on. Jigs are also producing some nice bass in 20 - 25 feet depths just outside the brush line. Darker coolers seem to be working the best.

Walleye are being caught in the bushes with spinner baits and crank baits and also with a crawler harness slow trolling them just outside the brush line.

The Norfork Lake level is starting to fall slowing and currently sits at 579.37. The lake surface water temperature was 68 - 69 degrees this morning.  The air temperature is forecast to be in the 80's with plenty of sun.  The lake is stained, starting to clear in the main channels. Our swimming pool at the resort is warming nicely and getting plenty of use this weekend.

I hope all have a fun and safe Memorial Holiday.

Happy fishing and see you on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment