Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Norfork Lake Fishing Report



Norfork Lake is in its summer fishing pattern with a few twists compared to prior years. The striped bass are schooling and when you find one of these schools you won't believe the numbers of fish, they are massive. The main difference over prior years is that the fish continue to move and they may not be in the same location as the day before. I guess that is why they call it fishing. Half the fun is finding the fish and the other half is learning what to do to catch them once you've found them.

Today was no different. I have not fished since a week ago Sunday so I decided to do a lot of graphing to see what I could find. I started my day at 3AM (with a huge cup of coffee) then went out to find bait. Baiting was very tough this morning. My first 3 spots produced 3 shad. At my 4th spot I found a few more then moved one more time and in one throw I had all the bait that I needed. It did take about 2 1/2 hours, but I had fun. I started to graph in the mid lake area. I checked main lake points and bluff lines. I graphed from 50 feet of water out to the channel. I found a few fish, but nothing really exciting. I then headed to the Diamond Bay area and again I marked a few fish. I continued down to the dam area and marked some good fish on the bottom in 60 feet of water. I fished this area for a while and had one hit, but no fish. I moved to several other points and finally I marked many fish. I ended up catching one, broke off another and missed a third. As quick as the bite started it stopped. So I headed out. I got a call from one of my guests who was starting to get some nice bites, but his electronics were out and he wanted me to graph the area. I set out two poles 60 feet deep and in about 15 minutes I was marking lots of bait and big arcs all though the bait. I landed this nice 14 pounder and Jeff was also fighting a couple fish. It was a good area, but was it was getting late for me to be out so I headed in and am hoping the fish will be back in this location tomorrow!

Live bait fishing for stripers is working very well, but once you find the school you can also vertical jig a spoon. I have been finding the fish 50 - 70 feet deep, either on the bottom or suspended in 80 - 150 feet of water. My fish have been found on main lake points and along deep bluff lines.

I have not done much walleye fishing lately, but I talked with Leslie Wake of Twin Lakes Guide Service yesterday and he stated the walleye on Norfork Lake are becoming very active. Leslie has found that the walleye have finally moved out of the brush and can be found in 25 - 35 feet. of water on main lake points and flats. He has been doing very well with crawler harnesses. If you looking to take a guided walleye trip give Leslie a call at 417-252-0906.

We have a couple of young guests that are very avid fisherwomen. They love to fish off of the dock and also from their Dad's boat. (Mom's boat too!). Their bait of choice is either nightcrawlers or crickets. Both are working great.

I have no reports on Crappie fishing.

Catfishing is still good with live bait either on trotlines or jugs. Dragging a crawler harness at dark is also starting to produce some nice fish.

The Norfork Lake level is still falling slowly and currently rests at 568.8. The lake surface water temperature this morning was 89 degrees at both ends of the lake. The main lake is clear and the creeks and coves are clearing.

Happy fishing and see you on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment