Thursday, October 27, 2011

Norfork Lake Crappie Fishing Report


Norfork Lake Crappie fishing has been fun the last couple of days. I had to check out my Tuesday morning success by fishing yesterday afternoon. I decided to just fish brush piles and coves close to my resort dock. I first graphed Hummingbird Hideaway's cove. I marked some bass on brush piles, but didn't find much bait in the area. I headed out to the bluff across from my cove to a brush pile. I spooned up one bass in about 30 feet of water. I switched to throwing a jointed Shad Rap that goes about 10 - 15 feet deep along the bluff line. I picked up another small bass. When I came to a point off a small cut along the bluff line, I hooked a nice blue gill, a small crappie and the above 15 inch crappie. Nice slab! I then headed to another brush pile in the Cranfield area. This was the brush that came alive. I ended up spooning 5 nice 12 - 14 inch crappie in about 20 minutes. WOW!! I moved to a cut along the bluff line I was fishing and picked up another crappie. I then tried a cove across from my cove. When I got back into the cove I could see bait fish on the surface. I started throwing my shad rap and landed a keeper size largemouth bass. I noticed the bait had moved to the bottom (32 feet of water) so I started to spoon. I hooked 3 more bass, but only got to land one of them. The other two shook off the hook. I wasn't keeping any bass anyway.

My short afternoon trip was a success and I did verify that the trip on Tuesday was not a fluke. Crappie on Norfork Lake have come alive and are very aggressive.

Today is a rain day, but the forecast is calling for nice fall weather throughout the weekend. I will be back on the lake more than likely tomorrow. It is really hard to keep me off the lake especially with these nice fall days. My wife just can not understand why I like to spend so much time on the water fishing! I think she would like me to start quilting with her. (Not going to happen) I just love to fish for all species especially striped bass. 

Happy fishing and see you on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment