Sunday, April 26, 2015

Norfork Lake Fishing Report by Hummingbird Hideaway Resort

Fishing on Norfork Lake continues to be very strong. I (Lou of Hummingbird Hideaway Resort) have been mainly fishing in the mornings, but did manage to get out one night since my last report. Over the last week the striped bass bite has been very good in the morning and the bite is still happening after dark. This morning was one of my most active days, I landed 9 striped bass and 4 whites. The bite started as soon as I got to my fishing location at 5:45 AM. I was trolling a 5 inch swim bait with a 1/4 ounce jig head. This swim bait was recommended to me by one of my fishing friends. Thanks Ron, it does work really well. Most of my fish were found on shallow flats in about 20 feet of water. My bait is not going very deep and the fish are coming up for it. Top water action started about a week ago and I got really excited, but several cool fronts rolled though the area and has all but shut down the top water action. I do expect it to take off again once we start getting some consistently warmer days. With this being said, always be ready with a top water bait because the top water eruptions could happen at any time. Look for stripers off of points part way back into creeks and if there is a flat area close by, check it out for feeding fish. Once the sun comes up the fish seem to move out into deeper water. I am finding scattered fish along deep bluff lines later in the morning.

The largemouth and spotted bass bite is continuing to be strong. You will find these species up tight on the banks early in the morning and then they will move off of the banks to 15 - 30 feet of water during the sunny days.  Top water baits are working, as are small crank baits and plastics.  I threw a tube jig and a jig and pig a few days ago and landed some  nice fish. I have been marking plenty of bass suspended close to the deep bluff lines.  Rattle traps are a great bait to get these suspended fish. Smallmouth bass are starting to show up in 15 - 20 feet of water. Grubs and jigs are a great way to fish for this species.
The big white bass are starting to show up in the mid creek areas. Similar locations as the striped bass. They are also hitting similar baits. Once you find the whites you might want to try to cast out a blade type bait such as a Kastmaster and let it sink down to their depth then retrieve slowly. If you find these fish on the bottom you can vertical jig this bait, it is very effective.

I don't have any current news on walleye or crappie as I have been having way too much fun striper and bass fishing. Hopefully by next report I will have some good info.

The Norfork Lake surface water temperature was 63 degrees this morning. This temperature will vary up to 5 degrees depending on your location on the lake and the time of day. The lake level is currently at 558.71. Power generation is occurring part of the day helping to maintain this level. The main lake is clear and the creeks and coves are slightly stain, but clearing quickly. Norfork Lake is is great shape for fishing and boating so come on down and enjoy yourself on Norfork Lake.

Give me a call at 870-492-5113 for reservations at Hummingbird Hideaway Resort and for my latest fishing tips and advice.

Happy fishing and see you on the lake.




No comments:

Post a Comment