Thursday, April 9, 2009

Norfork Lake Fishing Report

I tried out a few new areas on Norfork Lake last evening and did OK, but not great. The forecast called for 10 - 15 mph winds, but when I got out on the lake it was flat calm. I would have preferred a little wind. The lake temperature ranged from 50 on the main lake and up to 55 back in the creek. It was almost a full moon. The water is clear to slightly stained back in the creeks. If we get some rain today, it might cloudy up the creeks a little more.

I started fishing Float Creek (all the way in the back) around 6PM. Found a lot of bait fish in the 20 - 30ft range with bigger fish below them. I started bass fishing in about 15 ft of water and picked up a few smallish fish on a jointed tail shad rap, nothing to brag about .75 - 1.5 pound range. I chose Float Creek for walleye fishing. I have done well there in past years. Once the sun set I moved up closer to the 5A marker and started throwing a white rogue. I fished the 5A marker back to where the creek bends to the North. I ended up catching two under size walleye and 2 small striped bass. I also picked up two bluegill, the lure was as long as the fish. I caught 3 of the fish on a bone colored, no eye rogue with red hooks and the others on the white rogue. Both rogues were the suspending types.

I think that once the water temp stabilizes in the upper 50s, the morning and evening bite should take off.

A couple of my guide friends are out fishing the next couple of day so I will let you know how they do.

I guess I need to get back to working on our resort.

Have a great day and happy fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment