Sunday, August 16, 2009

Norfork Lake Fishing Report

I finally made it out fishing on Norfork Lake. I had a fun day, but don't have stripers to brag about. I caught white bass, spotted bass and largemouth bass. At one point I had three fish on at the same time. It was kind of hectic for a while, but I enjoyed dealing with it. I was catching the whites on a white spoon vertical jigging in 38 - 45 ft of water. I caught all the black bass on live shiners. I haven't fished the dam area in a long time so I decided to head that way. I fished at point #1 for a while with no luck then headed back into Sally Ann and had a great time. The whites were schooling and moving quickly. I marked some big arcs on my fish finder so I know there were stripers and/or hybrids in with the whites. The whites are definitely the more active fish. There were several fishermen trolling Thumb point and Koso point. I saw two nice stripers brought in. On my way home I stopped and fished the bridge piers and caught several spotted bass on live shiners. Some really nice stripers 20 - 35 pounds are being caught by the guides. Most guides are fishing from Tick point on down to the dam. Gizzard shad are producing the larger fish with thread fin shad producing the bigger quantity. The fish seem to be on main lake points as well as back in creeks that have deep holes off of secondary points.

The attached photo is one of our guests from a few weeks back. He caught this nice largemouth vertical jigging at our dock. This has been a good year for catching bass, bluegills and sunfish at the dock.

The Norfork Lake level is holding steady at 553.3, only 1.3 feet above normal pole. The main lake is clear with the creeks and coves somewhat off color. The Norfork Lake surface water temperature is in the low to mid 80's, The Corps has been running both generators from 4 to 8 hours per day.

I plan to be fishing more often now, so until the next time happy fishing and see you on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment