Thursday, August 20, 2009

Norfork Lake Fishing Report

Although we had a lot of rain this morning and early afternoon, it turned out to be a beautiful evening on Norfork Lake in the Arkansas Ozarks. Being inside all day left me totally bored so I decided to do a little afternoon fishing. I wanted to try to find some walleye, but instead I found Kentucky bass, white bass and that big one that got away. Yes, it is an old story, but true. I finally hooked into a nice walleye. I had it on the surface and started to reach for my net but I guess I let a little slack in the line. I heard the fish flip and saw it swim away. It was at least a 5 pounder. The walleye was caught on some brush that I have put in over the years next to a steep bluff line. I was vertical jigging in 30 ft of water. The white bass were caught using my Zara spook. I was heading toward the Highway 62 bridge and could see the water just boiling in the distance. There were hundreds of fish erupting. I ended up catching 4 whites and 2 Kentuckys. I was also told by one of our guests that he got into some topwater whites two days ago. He was fishing the flats by Cranfield Island. He ended up catching several with a spook and when they went down he spooned up a couple more. Striped bass are being caught from tick point to the dam area. Spooning is working well as well as is live shad. I have also been catching catfish on my trotline using crawdads and have seen fish on jugs. No news on crappies.

The Norfork Lake level is 553.21 and has risen slightly with the last two days worth of rain. The Corps is generating both generators 5 to 6 hours per day. The Norfork Lake surface temperature is in the mid to low 80's. The main lake is clear with the creeks and coves off color.

Until the next report happy fishing and see you on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment