Thursday, April 15, 2010

Norfork Lake Fishing Report



I spent a nice evening last night on Norfork Lake. I landed this nice 5 pound largemouth and several smaller Kentucky bass before dark. All bass were released. Once the sun set I headed to a point in the Cranfield area that I have not fished before. I was happy that I did. It was a great night for hooking fish, but unfortunately, the fisherman performed poorly on landing fish. Between 8:30 and 9:30 PM I had 6 striper or hybid bites, two that were pulling drag and one that dove to deep water. All three came unhooked. Each time I looked at my knot and bait to see if I needed to retie, but I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the hooks. When the last fish got away, I became frustrated and got out my flash light to check out the rogue really well and found that the treble hooks were mangled. I have replaced the hooks today with a little larger and stronger hook. I will try it again this evening to see if it helps. But it is possible that the problem may be the fisherman too! I was throwing two different suspending rogues, one a green with orange belly (looks like a sun fish/blue gill) and the other, a black top, silver on the sides and a white belly. The second lure was the one with the hook problems. I was casting as close to the shoreline as possible, then started to reel very, very slowly. I stopped occasionally and I have had many strikes when the lure is sitting still. Remember don't work the bait as a jerk bait, the striper are looking for this slow wobbling bait. The black bass were caught on a Zara spook (white with a chartreuse head). I was working the spook next to the shore line in very shallow water.

I set my trot line a couple nights ago and have caught 4 flat head catfish. If I remember correctly the flat heads came into the shallow water before the blues and channel catfish did. I have my line set crossing a small cut in a cove with the deepest part being about 15 feet deep. I have caught fish on hooks on the shoreline as well as in the deepest part. It looks like catfishing is ready to take off. I have been using large shiners and crawdads as the bait on my line. We're glad to be getting catfish again as we need to get enough for a very large fish fry.

Hope to get out crappie fishing soon, but I have become addicted to striper fishing after dark. I usually get back to the dock around 10PM, sometimes later.

Currently the Norfork Lake level is at 555.55 and holding steady. One generator is being run, but it goes from 0 to 2 generators throughout the day. The lake is becoming gin clear as are the creeks and coves. Deep into the creeks you may find some stained water. The water temperature last evening was 67 degrees. I have been told that the water temperature at the dam is about 4 - 5 degrees cooler.

Happy fishing and see you on the lake. When you do see me on the lake stop by and say hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment