Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Norfork Lake Fishing Report

The weather is finally changing for the better on Norfork Lake in the Arkansas Ozarks. We have had wind, wind and more wind the last 3 days with a couple of inches of rain. The rain is over for now and the wind is supposed to diminish this evening and get back to normal. The windy weather has actually been good for fishing for those that can take it and hold their spots, but it has definitely been a real challenge for our fishing guests as well as the guides. Robert Lee of Lee's Lite Line took a couple of our guests out on a striper trip Sunday morning and had a good day. They landed these five stripers/hybrids and numerous other smallmouth and Kentucky bass. They also had 4 other stripers break off before they could be netted. They were fishing with live shad in the dam area. Due to the wind they were long lining the shad as it was too windy to pitch the points.

The last time that I fished was last Friday evening. I headed to the Bennett's area at 7PM to hopefully find some top water action. As the sun set I saw 3 separate striped bass surface so I started to fan cast my spook. I was casting to the shallow water as well as to the deep water. I ended up landing two stripers and missed three others. They were not chasing the shad to the surface, but they still came up after my Zara Spook. The fish were all on the small size 6 - 8 pounds. As it got really dark I switched to a rogue and immediately got a good strike, but missed it. I fished this area for another 45 minutes without a hit, I moved to a point across from Bidwell and caught a bluegill, then I had a massive hit and it was pulling drag then just disappeared. (I have been getting a lot of that lately?) No more hits so I headed for home around 10:30PM.

We have had guests bass fishing since Saturday and doing very well. They have been throwing plastics with and without weights and are catching smallmouth, largemouth and Kentucky bass. Their big fish so far has been an 18.5 inch smallmouth. This fish was caught in our cove. All colors have been working for them. They have been fishing next to the buck brush, letting their bait fall to the bottom then slowly retrieving with a twitching motion. Most times the fish hit the bait as it is fell next to the buck brush. Last evening a few of them stayed out until after the sun set. The hybrids, black bass and whites started to erupt in the back of our cove in only one foot of water. They started throwing poppers and spooks and got the thrill of their life. They never landed a fish, but lost several nice ones in the brush. They told me that they have never gotten into top water action like this before, grinning ear to ear. One said his heart was still pounding.


The blue and channel catfish are starting to come into the shallow water and are hitting my shiners on a trot line. This morning I caught a nice size blue, but lost it as I was bringing it into the boat. (I forgot my net!!!)

No current reports on crappies, but I have several guests taking two crappie guides out on Friday. More to come later.

Watch for the top water action as the sun is starting to rise and after the sun has set. I am getting reports that the top action is just starting to take off. The full moon should really help, and of course the light winds.

The Norfork Lake level is rising slowly and currently sits at 555.31 with no generation. The lake is gin clear even with the rain several days ago. I would assume that back in the flowing creeks you should find some stained water. Our cove is clear. The surface water temperature is in the mid 60's.

Happy fishing and see you on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment