Friday, April 2, 2010

Norfork Lake Fishing Report


The Striped Bass bite is improving for both morning and night fishing on Norfork Lake. These are a couple of our Chicago area guests Guy & Jerry and yes, they were happy. They were one fish shy of their limit. The limit could have included a 25 + pound fish that was up along the side of the boat, but decided to take one more dive. Their line was cut immediately. Several other fish hit their baits but escaped. They fished with Tom Reynolds of STR Outfitters using gizzard shad in the dam area. They had six lines out, two long lines, two on balloons and two outside poles on planer boards. All baits were free swimming with no weights.
I fished last evening in the Bidwell area. I started on a point back by 101 boat dock, had two light bumps and lost a nice fish that was pulling drag. I guess I didn't set the hook. At about 10PM I started to head home, but once I got across from Bidwell I was tempted to try fishing near the docks with lights on. I casted several times and had one light bump. I heard fish breaking the surface and headed out to the main lake points to find them. I ended up landing two 11 pound fish and a third got away after straightening three hooks on two of my treble hooks. I saw the fish and know it had to be over 20 pounds. That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it!! I lost 3 other nice bites, but just didn't get a good hook set. I was using a suspending rogue and slow rolling it back to the boat. I headed home around midnight. For last night at least, the bite was much later than what I have found in the past. For morning fishing try using a fluke or bass assassin with or without a weighted hook. Cast main lake points and secondary points back in the creek channels.
I haven't had a chance to get out fishing for other species, crappie, bass, catfish and so on, but what I am being told that the crappie bite is starting to take off and the bass bite is still as good as ever. No news on the catfish. I am going to try and set a trot line this evening.
I am starting to see bluegill, crappie and bass under my dock for those dock fishing guests.
If any of my followers have any good updates on fishing Norfork Lake please feel free to add your comments. This will help all to have a successful fishing trip on the lake.
The Norfork Lake level is 554. 92 and falling ever so slightly with one generator being run. This level is only about 3 feet above normal pool. The lake is holding steady, but if we get the forecasted rain this evening it will rise again. The lake surface temperature last evening was between 54 and 55 degrees. The main lake is gin clear and coves and creeks are clearing very nicely.
Have a great day and see you on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment