Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Norfork Lake Fishing Report

I just got back from a successful fishing trip on Norfork Lake. I started heading to Diamond Bay, but once I went under the 101 bridge the waves started crashing over the side of my boat so I thought it wouldn't be so bad fishing closer to the resort. I headed to Hensley Cove which is on the bluff side of the lake from our resort dock cove. I started fishing the calm side of the cove with a shad rap and started catching last years hatchlings (large and small mouth). They have grown about 10 - 12 inches since last year. I guess they have had plenty to eat. This lake is really going to be a fantastic bass lake over the next few years. I decided to head across the cove to the windy side points. Immediately my screen turned black with bait fish. I switched to my standard suspending rogue for early spring and immediately caught two 1.5 pound large mouth bass. The sun had set and I thought maybe the striped bass would be on the points. I cast the windy point and had a huge hit, it was pulling drag and I was sure it was a striped bass. I finally got it to the boat and it was a 4.5 pound large mouth. I fished a while longer, but when I lost my second rogue to the shoreline trees, I decided to head home. I haven't had a lot of experience casting windy banks in the dark and that darn wind just does whatever it wants with a rouge. I will go back out in the daylight when its not windy and retrieve my lures.

I do release all large and small mouth I catch unless I ever get that trophy fish.

Happy fishing and see you on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment