Monday, April 20, 2009

Norfork Lake Fishing Report


Doug and his wife Mary Ann, from the St. Louis area, had a nice stringer of walleye and crappie to take home. They fished in the evenings for the walleye and in the mornings for crappie. Doug preferred a black back with silver sides and orange belly rogue for their walleye fishing and was using minnows with a slip bobber for the crappie. The crappie were suspended over brush in about 10 feet of water not far from our resort and the walleye were on points in the Cranfield area. While they were fishing for crappie they caught many bass and released all. The biggest crappie that he had ever seen got away just before being netted. I think Doug didn't want to give Mary Ann bragging rights. (Only joking Doug)
Striper fishing at night has still been slow, but the morning bite is starting to pick up. I have talked with several guides over the last two days and they are catching fish in the Cranfield to Red Bank area as well as down at the dam. They still aren't getting the bites they are used to this time of year, but I really think that will change soon with the warm weather being forecast. I talked with several others that had been striper fishing and they had caught stripers in the Float Creek area right before dark. Minimal top water action, but I think it is going to erupt at any time. I am always optimistic.
Bass are still hitting very good. I am still seeing very large bass under my dock. I have a feeling they are staging to spawn, even though I have been told by some fishermen that they had marked fish already on beds. I guess the big ones, might be the males waiting their turn.
The Norfork Lake temperature is in the mid 50's and rising. The Norfork Lake level is 553.3 and rising. Virtually no generation over the last 24 hrs. Today is sunny to partly cloudy and warm, but windy at 10 - 20 mph. The wind is suppose to keep up for the next day or so. If the forecast holds the wind should slow down a little by Wednesday. I guess I will wait till then before I get out on the lake. I have plenty to keep me busy around the resort.
Until next time happy fishing and see you on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment