Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Norfork Lake Fishing Report

Since the wind and rain has stopped I have been working hard at cleaning up the yard with all of its millions of leaves. My granddaughter has been a great helper!!

The sky is clear and the sun is out, no rain, on Norfork Lake in the Arkansas Ozarks. Finally we are having our normal fall type weather. The day time temperature is reaching 70 or close and the evenings are in the mid to low 40's. The weather forecast is predicting this type of weather for the next couple of weeks. The lake should stabilize and the fishing should ramp up. I have been out bass fishing the last couple of mornings and evenings and have caught some nice bass on a rogue as well as a zara spook. Most of the fish are on the short side, but I have caught two nice 18 inch largemouth. Most of the bass that I have caught are Kentucky bass. I have been fishing the deep banks as well as the submerged island in the Cranfield area. The fish are starting to come up in the brush, but I think most are still deep. The lake has come up almost 18 feet over the last couple weeks, with the biggest increase just last week end. The fish are most likely still getting acclimated to their new surroundings. Most fish should be holding at the old shore line depth of 20-40 feet.

I am a little vague on where the fish are because my sonar unit is on the fritz and I have been fishing blind. A new Lowrance unit is on its way and hopefully will be installed soon. It is really difficult to fish without electronics. I guess I have gotten spoiled. I seemed to do just fine fishing years ago without the benefits of technology, but I sure enjoy having the toys of today.

I have heard second and third hand that there has been some striper top water action in the mornings and evenings. I have not seen any yet, but if it is anything like last fall it should happen in the next couple of weeks. The stripers being caught by the guides are back in the creeks as well as on the main lake. The fish are 40-60 feet down, both on the bottom and suspended.

The Norfork Lake level is finally holding steady at 569.68. The Corps is generating one generator for over half of the day. The lake surface water temp. is 63-64 degrees and dropping slowly. The main lake is clear and the creeks and coves are somewhat stained, but starting to clear.

Hopefully later in the week I will be able to give you a more detailed report. Until next time happy fishing and see you on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment