Friday, November 20, 2009

Norfork Lake Fishing Report

The last two days have been just fantastic on Norfork Lake and at Hummingbird Hideaway Resort. I have fished the last two evenings and have done pretty well. Yesterday I went back to a point in Buzzard Creek and caught two 3.5 pound largemouth bass and 4 undersized Kentucky bass. All were caught on live shiners in about 40 feet of water. The fish were on the bottom. This evening I went back to the same point and was still marking fish, but nothing would bite the live bait. I ended up catching two white bass in about 50 feet of water. I headed back toward the resort at around 4:15 and fished in our cove for a little while. This was a wise decision. I marked a ton of bait fish from 20 feet down to the bottom at 45 feet. Finally on the sonar I saw what really makes me excited. The bait fish were scattering and there were big fish darting though the bait. I dropped my spoon and at about 20 feet it went slack, I quickly set the hook and the fight was on. It was a nice 8 pound striper. I lost the school of feeding fish so I started to move around slowly and then they appeared again. This time I caught 3 white bass in the school. Again the school moved away so I headed closer to my dock and found them again, this time I caught a 7 pound striper. All fish were caught vertical jigging and they all hit the spoon on the fall. I ended up keeping the second striper for a photo op then released it at the dock. All other fish were released as they were caught. The stripers seem to be at all depths and locations. You need to find the bait fish and hopefully the big fish have found them also.

The Norfork Lake water temperature was 61 degrees this evening. The water level is holding steady at 570.85. The Corps is currently running one generator, but one or two are being run for most of the day. The water is clearing in the creeks and very clear in the main lake. The weather forecast is looking very good for the next week to 10 days.

See you on the lake or at the resort!

No comments:

Post a Comment