Thursday, November 19, 2009

Norfork Lake Fishing Report

The sun is shining and the air temperature is in the 60's on Norfork Lake in the Arkansas Ozarks. I haven't been out in a few days with the cool and rainy weather but hopefully I will be able to get out this afternoon. The weather forecast is back to sunshine with highs in the low 60's and lows in the 40's, Not bad weather for fishing or just enjoying the lake and the surrounding area. I actually did get out a little on Tuesday afternoon. The rain had stopped so I just went out in our cove and fished for about 40 minutes for crappie. I caught 3 keeper size crappie over some brush in 40 - 45 feet of water. The rain started again and it was breezy and cold so I released my fish and headed back in to the dock.

I got an encouraging report from one of my guide friends today. He had a trip this morning and his clients wanted to catch a lot of fish. So they did, they caught walleye, Kentucky bass, white bass largemouths and hybrids. They were fishing the creek arm swings in 25 - 50 feet of water close to the point. They were using live threadfin shad, but I feel artificial will work in the same areas. You can either use live shad if you have a shad tank, or use large live shiners that I sell for live bait. If you prefer artificial baits use a spoon and vertical jig or a large to medium size grub with at least a 1/4 - 1/2 ounce jig head. Cast the grub out let it fall to the bottom and retrieve it very slowly. The water temperature is cooling and the fish will start to slow down.

The Norfork Lake water temperature has fallen to around 59 degrees. The main lake is clear and the creeks are slightly stained. The Norfork Lake level has risen some to 570.78, but is starting to hold steady. The Corps has forecast a slow fall in the level starting on the 20th of this month.

Happy fishing and see you on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment