Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Norfork Lake Fishing Report


Another great day on Norfork Lake in the Arkansas, Ozark Mountains. I have electronics back on my boat again, so I had to go out this morning to try it out. Well it worked fine marking fish. I bought the Lowrance X135, since I couldn't justify buying the nice color units, but this one seems to do the trick. I headed out before sunrise and went to the #2 marker. I was marking huge schools of fish (I think?) but nothing would bite. The fish were anywhere from 40feet down to 70feet suspended in 120feet of water. I was spooning and also dragging a couple of large live shiners. I didn't get a bite. I then headed back into Float Creek. Several boats were already there fishing. I threw out my shiners and in about 5 minutes my pole bent to the water and the drag was just zinging. I thought I had a huge 20 pound or larger fish on. It ran so far it almost spooled me. I finally landed the fish and it was only a 8 pound striper. but it definitely fought like a much bigger fish. I was fishing in 60 - 75 feet of water and was marking fish top to bottom. I ended up fishing this area a couple of hours and broke off another nice fish on live shiners and caught 3 hybrids in the 2 to 4 pound range on my spoon. All the hybrids were caught when I was reeling up though them fast. Fishing wasn't fantastic, but I caught enough fish to make it interesting. I did not notice any top water fish, but I still have my hopes up. Last year it started in the second week of November and lasted a couple of weeks.

I have reset my trot line and started baiting it up the last couple evenings. I have caught 2 nice size channels and one baby channel cat, also a couple of keeper size Kentucky bass. I am using live shiners for the trot line.

The Norfork Lake level is currently at 569.93 and rising 1 to maybe 2 inches per day, but this seems to be slowing. The Corps is generating one generator on and off throughout the day. The lake temperature is 63 degrees and still slowly dropping. The main lake is clear and the creeks are muddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment